STRATEGIC ORGANIZING

I’ve shared photos of my makeup table and how I organize it, but something occurred to me today: Many times when I’m getting ready in a hurry, I end up grabbing all the products I need to use and leaving them out just strewn about the table. Sometimes there’s just no time to tidy up before it’s time to leave!

But considering how many times I’ve left this area in that less-than-acceptable condition, I’ve noticed that my makeup table is somehow always organized and neat. So tonight when I went to clean up the mess I’d made earlier in the day, I realized why that was. Take a look at the “unacceptable” photos; I cleaned up and put everything away in just 3 minutes. That includes wiping down the glass on the table! It’s because I’ve got a specific place for every last thing; I’ve got compartments set up on, in, and below my makeup table that makes cleanup a breeze because I know exactly where each piece belongs so it all goes away in a flash.

IMG_8470

IMG_8472

It’s all strategically placed: The products I use most frequently are on the table, (most of these items are skincare and brushes) the stuff I use a reasonable amount is in the drawer, and the items I use less frequently are in the drawer units under my makeup table from the Easy Organizing post I did a while back.

For the sake of keeping track of all your makeup and making sure you maintain a neat makeup station, try creating a strategically organized space. It’ll save you more time when you’re actually doing your makeup because you won’t have to spend extra time looking for what you need, and the cleanup, of course, ends up being quick and easy!

As far as organizing units go, I got many of my compartment pieces from The Container Store, and the makeup table and the drawers are from Ikea!

IMG_8476

IMG_8478

IMG_8480

19 Comments on STRATEGIC ORGANIZING

1. Grace
    May 20, 2013 at 3:11 am (2 years ago)

You have the same make up table as me! From Ikea ☺you’ve inspired me to clean & organise mine now! X

2. ievaroo
    May 20, 2013 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

Thats so funny, i have the same tabel!:)

3. Melissa H. from So. Fla.
    May 20, 2013 at 10:06 am (2 years ago)

I’m spending my memorial weekend organizing!!
    I’m actually excited that I won’t be digging in 5 different makeup pouches for things. Thanks for the post.

May 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm (2 years ago)

yes! Makes life so much easier. :) Happy organizing!

4. Jen
    May 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm (2 years ago)

Where do you buy your organizers for your makeup etc

May 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm (2 years ago)

The Container Store. Check out their website for your nearest location.

5. sandra
    May 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm (2 years ago)

What look or colors would u say is your go to look for everyday?

May 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm (2 years ago)

As far as colors go, browns, nudes, and pinks are what I use for everyday. And for everyday, I usually skip eyeliner and just add a little mascara.

6. Tania
    May 21, 2013 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

Hi There! This is a completely unrelated question but I wanted to get your expert advice on white eyeliner! I’ve read a lot recently about the use of white eyeliner on the inner waterline (and sometimes even above black eyeliner on the top lid?) to open up and brighten the eye.

I don’t think I’ve seen you use white eyeliner on your blog… Is this a technique you use/recommend? And if so, can you recommend a nice, matte white eyeliner with staying power? Thanks!

May 22, 2013 at 7:11 pm (2 years ago)

I don’t use the white eyeliner trick very often because it tends to look unnatural. If you really want to use this trick, avoid a white eyeliner and instead go for a pale yellow. White is too unnatural but the pale yellow will believably create a brighter look. Also, a pale nude pencil will work, too. NYX has something called the Wonder Pencil, it’s ideal for brightening your eyes!

7. Cynthia
    May 21, 2013 at 10:54 am (2 years ago)

I wish I had space for a makeup table. I am about to purchase the clear makeup cube system. Do you own one?? Any thoughts on it.
    I also love the blue on your walls :)

May 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm (2 years ago)

I think the acrylic cubes are great!! Ideal for organizing. I just don’t have one because I need a larger space to house my products, but if they made them big enough i’d definitely use them!

8. Nini1980
    May 26, 2013 at 2:27 am (2 years ago)

what is the name of the ikea table so i can find it?

May 26, 2013 at 10:45 am (2 years ago)

It’s called the MALM DRESSING TABLE.

9. Lisa J. Richardson
    May 27, 2013 at 10:52 pm (2 years ago)

Fabulous! Great collection! And it looks very nice that its so organized!

10. Crissy
    June 4, 2013 at 5:16 am (1 year ago)

Teni, I see you have the “Aspen” Anastasia highlighter, I have the “San Tropay” & was thinking about buying the Aspen as well? What are your thoughts on it? I have lighter skin tone than you, I’m not super pale, but I’m in no way super tan either, unfortunately :(… Also, how do you like the San Tropay highlighter? Do you use it the same as most highlighters (top of cheekbones, bridge of nose)? Love everything you do with your makeup & fashion, so your opinion means a lot to me!
    Thanks!

June 4, 2013 at 8:24 am (1 year ago)

I have St. Tropez too :) I definitely use that one more than the Aspen because of my complexion. Not that I couldn’t use Aspen, but the golden/bronze of St. Tropez is what I prefer. If I’m ever using cooler colors like pinks or purples on my eyes, then Aspen would be a good pick. It also comes with a blush that’s more neutral than the pink one that comes with St. Tropez. If you already have one, though, I would say just stick to that one as it is a bit pricey. And yes, I do use it the same way as other highlighters :)