DIY FACE SCRUB

img_9939

I originally created this post for BeautyHigh.com, but it’s so good I had to share here!! I simply love this at-home scrub.

I’ve always loved scrubs. Using one makes my face feel brand new, like it’s been freshly polished to a sparkling finish! I’ve tried many scrubs that have worked well for me, but I also love making a good DIY version at home with natural ingredients straight from my kitchen.

The process is super easy and only takes three ingredients: olive oil, sea salt, and an essential oil of your choice (I prefer lavender!). Here’s how to do it!

img_9945

1. Start by pouring 1/4 cup of olive oil into a small bowl. (Note: You can use this scrub for your body as well, but these portions will make enough for a face scrub).

img_9947

2. Add just about 1/8 cup of sea salt to the olive oil. If you like an extra coarse scrub, you can add a little more. I like using sea salt instead of iodized salt because the crystals are bigger and more coarse, giving me a much better scrub experience!

img_9949

3. The last ingredient is also an optional one: I like adding about five drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture because of its calming qualities. Lavender can combat anything from redness to acne, so for me it’s a must. But you can skip the essential oil or add your own favorite instead.

img_9950

img_9955

4. With your finger, just mix the ingredients together until they’re well blended. It’s a small amount, so it should take about 10 seconds to mix it well.

img_9962

5. Now that the scrub is ready to use, grab a little product in each hand and begin applying it to your skin. Use a gentle circular motion to work it into your skin (all over!) and keep it up for about 30 seconds. The sea salt makes this scrub powerful enough so you don’t need to apply a lot of pressure or scrub too hard. Rinse the scrub off with warm water, (a little hot if you can stand it) and be sure to rinse well.

Once I pat my skin dry, I find my face looks the most fresh and glowing it has ever looked. I made my mom try it on her 52-year-old skin and she could not believe how her skin looked! Especially for those of you lacking moisture, this is a great DIY option to bring life to your dry skin. I really cannot say enough about this at-home scrub!

Note: If you tend to be sensitive to scrubs, test it out along your jawline to see if your skin will react. But, again, since these are natural ingredients, chances are it’ll work on sensitive skin as well. Just be sure to massage the scrub into your skin gently.

25 Comments on DIY FACE SCRUB

1. Zara
    September 18, 2013 at 12:15 pm (1 year ago)

Nice one. Another good recipe: baking soda combined with cottage cheese. My mom taught me, its pretty good.
    I’m using PTR peeling gel now, it’s AWESOME. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it! My skin feels soft and nice the the whole week.

September 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm (1 year ago)

ahhh I love PTR!! Gonna check it out ;)

2. Fezy
    September 20, 2013 at 3:51 am (1 year ago)

I like this one. You could also try to mix honey and sugar. The skin is sooo soft afterwards :)

September 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm (1 year ago)

I considered that one as well ;) i’ll have to try it soon!

3. Maggie
    September 20, 2013 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

How often do you use the scrub?

September 20, 2013 at 5:26 pm (1 year ago)

maybe twice a month, not very often.

4. Dee
    September 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm (1 year ago)

Are you using regular olive oil or EVOO? I’m going to try this tomorrow. Thank you :)

5. Emily
    September 22, 2013 at 10:01 am (1 year ago)

Does the olive oil make you break out?

September 23, 2013 at 8:52 am (1 year ago)

not at all, and I’m pretty prone to breaking out. I think with natural oils it won’t clog your pores.

6. Pri
    September 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm (1 year ago)

Hey Teni! Your skin is always amazing but lately its looking better than ever!! I was wondering do you still use argan oil as a moisturiser every night? Which moisturisers are you currently using? Thanks so much! Lots of love! Your amazing:)

September 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm (1 year ago)

hi! I’ve actually been using more of my Ole Henriksen products lately. I recently stocked up on a lot more products and I’ll be sharing them in a video coming very soon :)

7. Catarina Simoes
    October 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm (1 year ago)

Hi teni!! I love you! you’re honestly an inspiration to me!
    I have a question. Am I still going to get the same result if I don’t use lavender or any other oil ?
    thanks! :)

October 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm (1 year ago)

sure you will! the lavender is just a calming agent, you’ll still get the same scrub benefits without the oil. :)

8. Jacqueline Trevino
    October 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm (12 months ago)

Hi Teni! Do you know any DIY for acne scars?

October 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm (12 months ago)

unfortunately acne scars can be tricky because it depends on how severe/deep they are. For mild scarring or spots, you can use an at-home peel that will gradually fade the marks and smooth out your skin over a couple of months. But if they’re any deeper, you’re going to have to seek a laser treatment at a professional facility. I can recommend a great dermatologist if you’re in southern California!

• Esmeralda
        July 27, 2014 at 7:02 am (3 months ago)

Hi I would like the name of the dermatologist
        In southern California.

9. Cristina
    October 31, 2013 at 1:20 pm (12 months ago)

Hey Teni! I am having an immense! Problem with clogged pores and it seems that using a facial scrub, (topical exfoliation), is not doing the trick. I have sensitive-dry skin; and not acne prone.

It seems as though I have this clogged-pore problem continuously. Are there any alternatives that may help? Maybe it’s time for a facial at a spa? & if so, what do you suggest? Thanks!

November 12, 2013 at 9:21 am (11 months ago)

Hmmm.. If it’s a severe issue have you thought about visiting a dermatologist?? Maybe try a professional facial first and have them clean out everything for a fresh start. And then if the problem persists I would definitely see a dermatologist for a prescription strength solution!

10. Jacqueline Trevino
    October 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm (12 months ago)

Sadly I live in Phoenix :( but is that the name of the peel “at home peel” or would you know how to make one? I mostly have spots. I know you are AMAZING with your skin also you know what’s best :) so if you have any good ones please let me know :) Thank you so much for answering my questions! you’re the best!!

November 12, 2013 at 9:20 am (11 months ago)

My favorite at home peel is by Ole Henriksen, it’s called the Lemon Strip Flash Peel… It’s amazing!

11. Laurence
    November 6, 2013 at 9:28 pm (12 months ago)

Hi Teni, when you do the scrub, do you stil do ur skincare routine afterwards ? You would wash your face, do the scrub and after put all your serum and cream ?

November 8, 2013 at 7:25 pm (12 months ago)

Personally I like to give my skin a little time to breath after I use this scrub (unless I’m going out, in which case I will definitely apply SPF.)

12. mona
    December 10, 2013 at 8:46 am (11 months ago)

Thank you,this looks great,must try it :)

13. Priya
    March 11, 2014 at 3:18 am (7 months ago)

Hi Teni! You are so amazing the way you help others by sharing your skincare and make up secrets! Ever since ive seen your videos on youtube ive become more persistent with taking care of my skin. Im turning 20 this month, my skincare routine consists of simple products for spots and breakouts and its helped calm them down but it has not completely got rid of them. Is there any products you reccommend for sensitive oily acne prone skin that are available in the UK? Also my scars are fairly new due to a lot of breakouts because of uni deadlines, is there any advice you could give me on how to get rid of my scars over time? I wouldnt mind if the method takes awhile i just want to find something that will guarantee to work. I have imported the argan oil from america (as i am in the UK) that you suggested, would this help my scars over time? Like you say in your previous articles, i would love to only have to put spf on and walk out but i cant because im so insecure about my skin. I have been to a dermatologist but they recommended going on roaccutane (or something like that) but there were so many side effects to it so i would really appreciate your advice. Thank you :)