THE PERFECT CANVAS WITH HOURGLASS

hourglass

There’s nothing more important than a flawless finish when it comes to your skin. No amount of eyeshadow or mascara will hide a poorly prepped face, so I always put my focus on my primer, foundation, and highlight. Because, to be frank, that’s pretty much all I’ll wear most of the time! I’d rather go out with perfect looking skin and skip the eyes altogether. (Except the brows; you know I have to get the brows just right!)

I recently had a chance to review products from Hourglass, a brand I had tried one foundation from a couple years ago, and I remember liking it very much but just didn’t explore the rest of the brand. Now I’m kicking myself because I’ve missed out on two years of really stellar products!!

Here’s what I have: The Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer, Ambient Lighting Powder, Veil Mineral + No. 28 Primer Serum Primer Set, Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil, and Foundation Brush #2. The first thing I noticed after examining all the products is that whoever made these really took an art approach to these products: What I mean is that everything from the formula of the tinted moisturizer to the shape and texture of the brow pencil reminds me of my drawing and painting tools, all made to create the perfect art piece. It’s obvious that a very serious level of planning went into creating these products, so it’s no surprise that I’m in love with each and every one of them.

I’m going to skip my endless praises of the primer set and just tell you to go get it. You will not be disappointed! With the size and price of this set, it’s a great way to try it and see if it works for you. (I’m willing to bet you’ll get it again!) The No. 28 Primer Serum is perfect for my dry skin, (aside from being a primer it packs some majorly good-for-skin ingredients) and I only have to use the tiniest little drop to get my whole face. Whether I’m using a tinted moisturizer or a foundation, I achieve nothing but flawless perfection with this primer set.

The Illusion Tinted Moisturizer has to be my favorite product of the bunch. And for several reasons: For one thing, it matches my complexion to a T. Usually I have to add green and yellow food coloring to my foundations, bb creams, and tinted moisturizers to get them to match the olive/ashy tones in my skin. But the Beige shade practically became my skin, it matched so well. And the formula?! My dry skin made itself very comfortable under this light/medium coverage tinted moisturizer, and the glow is unreal. It’s not too much to where it makes you look greasy; it’s just enough to give you the most gorgeous, natural glow. I just cannot say enough about this tinted moisturizer!

photo-47

Here I am wearing the Illusion Tinted Moisturizer, Ambient Lighting Powder, and Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil.

The Ambient Lighting Powder is a special one, too, because it’s hard to get a highlighting powder to look right. Most of the time they just sit on top of the makeup, creating an obvious distinction between the foundation and the highlighter. That’s no good. So going into it I was pretty sure I would think this was just an ‘okay’ product, but I was pleasantly surprised: The Ambient Lighting Powder blends right in, creating a very natural looking glow. And if you layer it on a bit more, the glow becomes more exaggerated but no less natural looking… It’s pretty incredible. The one that worked best for my skin was the Luminous shade, which has a pearl color to it. Personally I prefer something a little more golden for my complexion, so if that’s the case for you, try the Diffused shade which has more yellow in it.

And now for the Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil, which was the most fun to use!! Like I said, I have an art background, so it was nice to use a brow pencil that catered to my skill set. Usually brow pencils are just shaped like regular pencils with a point. But this particular pencil has a unique slanted design that makes it easier to shape brows. Though here’s a tip to ensure ease of use: Twist up the pencil about half an inch outside of where it’s dispensed. You would think that you only need to bring out a little bit so it’s just peeking out of the dispenser, but it’s much easier to use when you twist it up further. And on the other end? A spooly brush for perfectly groomed brows!

Here’s what I love most about Hourglass: This high-quality brand full of gorgeous cosmetics is 100% cruelty free. I took this directly from their website:

Do you rely on animal testing?

As a cruelty-free brand, Hourglass does not incorporate animal testing into our development phase or at the production level. We do not provide authorization to any third parties to perform animal testing on our products. In addition, Hourglass does not retail within any country that requires animal testing.

Many cosmetics brands can take a lesson from Hourglass!! Thank you for being responsible and for being a brand with integrity. I’m definitely adding Hourglass to my top favorites!

29 Comments on THE PERFECT CANVAS WITH HOURGLASS

1. Farwa
    November 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Teni,
    I have a question, did you get any help starting a blog? like what domain to use and all?

November 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm (11 months ago)

not really, I just kind of learned it all on my own. One tip I can give you is that WordPress is very easy to use, I think it’s the best blog platform!

2. SS
    November 16, 2013 at 8:06 pm (11 months ago)

Love the primer too! BTW, what color brow pencil are you using? Also what did you use to grow in your brows – castor oil, serum, etc… ? Love your brows!

November 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm (11 months ago)

Ah, I forgot the color!! I used the Dark Brunette. :) And yes, castor oil has definitely helped grow out my brows.

3. sophie
    November 17, 2013 at 6:39 am (11 months ago)

did you set your makeup with a powder?

November 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm (11 months ago)

nope! no need :) it looked perfect without it.

4. brittnee
    November 17, 2013 at 11:08 pm (11 months ago)

what do you use the lightening powder for?

November 18, 2013 at 10:22 am (11 months ago)

The lighting powder is a highlighting powder that I use at the highest points of my cheeks bones as well as a little bit on my forehead just above the arch of my brows. It catches the light and creates a beautiful glow!

• Kenelm
        July 11, 2014 at 9:06 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks for sharing. Your post is a useful cobtuinrtion.

5. Nadia
    November 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm (11 months ago)

I absolutely LOVED Hourglass when I received a few samples from them a few months back. Did you use their mascara here, or is that a different brand? I also am wondering, did you ever try using their foundation without the primer before; and if it truly made a major difference that you’d recommend buying both or it wasn’t a major difference? Greatly appreciate it! It’s the perfect, flawless look here! (P.S. when taking this picture, did you use a professional lighting at all? If so, which if you don’t mind sharing.) :) xoxo

November 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm (11 months ago)

I used a different mascara here. :) I believe it was the Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes Mascara. As far as the primer goes, it really is one of the best I’ve used. And especially for my dry skin, the no. 28 was like a drink of water for my skin!! The makeup just looked more seamless when I had the no. 28 primer on. Oh and about the lighting: It’s all natural light, I was sitting right in front of one of the windows in my bedroom. :)

6. Sophie
    November 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm (11 months ago)

Have u tried the dior highlighting powder?

7. Alice
    November 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm (11 months ago)

Is the brow pencil something that would be more useful to someone with quite full brows already or would it work for someone me because I have to make my brows look fuller and give them length? Great post by the way, you look stunning!

November 18, 2013 at 10:07 pm (11 months ago)

I would say it would work great for either case. I have pretty full brows but I need to add a bit of length and cover up some bald spots (ha), but if you have really sparse brows I would just get a color that’s at least two shades lighter than your hair color and use that, just so you’re not using a dark enough color that you get a shocking difference in the before and after!

8. Keren
    November 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm (11 months ago)

I am in love with Hourglass. I recently switched to their mattifying foundation because nothing worked on my extremely oily skin (I mean for real, seriously oily skin)My skin has actually improved. Four hours into wearing any other foundation my skin would be an oil slick (not exaggerating. Now I can wear makeup from 6-8 hours with a minor touch up. And I don’t even need setting powder.

November 18, 2013 at 10:09 pm (11 months ago)

Ah!! Love hearing that. Though I cannot relate at all because I’m on the other end of the skin spectrum– I’m extremely dry, ha! But really glad to see that two different products from Hourglass can work for both our skin types. High five!

9. Linda
    November 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm (11 months ago)

Hi Teni,

I’ve seen all your youtube videos probably 6 or 7 times each now and I’m absolutely in love with them still! I absolutely love how you do your primer, foundation, highlighting and contouring ! Quick questions though, I’ve been on the search for a new contouring powder (I have extremely oily skin) and still can’t seem to stumble upon one that I like yet, so I was wondering if you have any suggestions ! I’m Chinese but my skin tone is more on the darker matte brown side, almost Filipino I suppose ! Meanwhile, I’ve been using my bronzer, but I guess winter is here (I’m also Canadian haa) so my tan is slowly fading away, so when I use my bronzer to contour it turns my skin into too much of an orangey glow…which I absolutely hate ! Hahaa so any suggestions for that?

Can’t wait for you to launch a new tutorial ! Christmas is approaching and I’m also gunna be maid of honour for my cousin !! So I can’t wait for a new christmas/winter look tutorial !

November 27, 2013 at 11:13 pm (11 months ago)

Hey Linda, have you tried the Make Up For Ever Matte Bronzer?? It’s wonderful for contouring, and the color is a nice, deep matte brown color. For contouring, whatever you choose, make sure it’s a matte color. Especially if you tend to get oily, you don’t want to look sparkly!!

10. Lysette Caetano do Rego - Richardson
    November 23, 2013 at 4:02 am (11 months ago)

Reading your review I’ll definitely go out and try it. I’m especially looping for a product that can put antiraketschild flow on my face. So thank you for the tip :)

11. Lysette Caetano do Rego - Richardson
    November 23, 2013 at 4:06 am (11 months ago)

I mean a natural glow on my skin.

12. Shody
    November 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm (11 months ago)

I also love that Hourglass is cruelty free and also keeps their products healthy too!

13. Aqsa
    December 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm (11 months ago)

Hello! How are you? I’ve seen a tutorial where you use the Josie Maran Illuminizor with your bbcream or foundation. Do you think this illuminizor is better or the Josie Maran? and which video do you recommend for learning how to do your bronzer/contour on your cheeks? Thank you, hope all is well =)

December 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm (11 months ago)

I still love the Josie Maran luminizer, but that’s a liquid, this one is a powder. Personally, I do enjoy the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder a little more! :)

As far as my contour, try this video: http://youtu.be/xYmZWkkGMDY

14. Elodie Sélène
    December 17, 2013 at 7:41 am (10 months ago)

I don’t knew this brand Hourglass doesn’t exist in France, but one week ago my boyfriend give me a lipstick Hourglass and I really love it.

15. Jamie Marquez
    December 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm (10 months ago)

Hi Teni,
    I read in a previous comment that you use castor oil for your brows, I’m trying to grow mine out so I was just wondering if you could tell me how you use it? I’m so new to this beauty thing I have no idea what I am doing lol. Your blog is amazing by the way, i’ve been following it for awhile but have been too afraid to try anything, so now I’m taking the plunge! Thanks so much !

16. Bailey
    January 25, 2014 at 1:14 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Teni, which ambient lightning powder is it that you use?:)

17. sam
    June 23, 2014 at 9:34 am (4 months ago)

This is a really late post but I was wondering if this tinted moisturizer (I think?) would accentuate any flakes on the skin? I have a huge problem with flaky skin that I can’t get rid of no matter how much I exfoliate and moisturize =(. Its hard for me to find something that doesn’t flake on my skin. You look beautiful by the way!