A SPACE THAT INSPIRES

desk6

Every now and then I go through a slump when it comes to inspiration: I could have a million things to write about, but if I’m not inspired, there’s no use in trying. I’ve been dragging my feet through this slump when it finally occurred to me: My space sucks.

My desk is typically cluttered with paper, there’s nothing pretty to look at while I work, and the space is altogether boring. It wasn’t until I received some of the most gorgeous office decor from Rachel George that the light bulb went off in my head to revamp my workspace. I loved these pieces so much I actually built an entire space around them!

My first thought with the theme of the new space was to go all white. I wanted a bright space that reflected a positive and happy outlook, exactly how one loves to be when working! I ordered the So Kate desk in white which has three drawers and a simple but chic design. The biggest challenge, really, was finding the perfect desk… And I believe I did! It’s exactly what I had in mind when I started this project.

desk5

I wanted everything to look modern but also welcoming and comfortable, so I went to Home Goods and got myself a beige tufted chair with brass studs along the back. It just gave the space a more homey feel.

And the wall art! This was extremely important because I wanted the area to look fresh but also have some sort of eye candy. And since this is a fairly temporary space for me, I didn’t want to spend too much money. Solution: I went to Ikea and bought a couple of white frames and a gold frame. Wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them yet, but I picked them up anyway.

In deciding what to put in the frames, I knew I wanted something sparkly but not adolescent or offensive. So I went to Michael’s and browsed the section with all the glittery and textured sheets; I ended up buying the soft rose gold glitter sheet, as well as a popcorn pink sheet and a gold glitter sheet. I knew the 12×12 rose gold sheet would fit perfectly into my 11×11 white frame, so that was a no brainer. But I couldn’t decide between the gold glitter and the pink popcorn for the gold frame, so I threw the pink sheet into my paper cutter and sliced 1-inch thick strips that I then glued onto the gold glitter sheet. Once it was in the frame it really livened up the space! And the last frame was the easiest of them all: I bought gold metallic letters (also from Michael’s) and fixed the word “HUSTLE” onto a white sheet that then went into the standard 8.5×11 frame. It was a bold addition (and a nice reminder) to an otherwise feminine and playful space.

desk3

Now onto the fun stuff! The pink and gold theme was inspired by all the goodies I got from Rachel George. The combination of gold and acrylic with pink accents is just the perfect mix for a feminine workspace: I’ve got the Kate Spade Acrylic Pencil Cup, (which is awaiting some chic pens to occupy it, and it’s got the words “stroke of genius” at the bottom of the cup etched on a gold canvas) the matching acrylic tape dispenser, (also cleverly wearing the words “make it stick”) and to complete the set I’ve got the Kate Spade Gold Acrylic Letter Tray. The entire bin is clear acrylic with the gold face, but you’ll notice mine has a print at the bottom. I found this fabric that had the navy and white Greek key printed on it and fell in love. I knew I had to use it some way, somehow. I didn’t want to clutter the space by adding another element to the desk, so I improvised: I cut out a piece of the fabric to match the dimensions of the letter tray and placed it underneath. It turned out marvelously. This way I have the aesthetically-pleasing print right there on my desk but it didn’t have to take up any additional space. And the navy blue, might I add, looks stunning with the rose gold it’s surrounded by.

desk10 desk9 desk8 desk7 desk2-1

I’m completely in love with my new workspace. In the last few months I’ve been low on productivity, but now I don’t want to leave my desk! Whether you’re making a few minor changes or completely revamping your space, it’s always nice to switch up your surroundings to jumpstart your motivation.

desk1

Possibly my favorite thing on the desk: My Reiko Kaneko Lip Tease Mug.

photo

To match: My new gold MacBook Pro.

desk4Simple decor: Stack a few books! I’ve got my Jonathan Adler Champagne Candle on top.

31 Comments on A SPACE THAT INSPIRES

1. Antoinette Georgy
    July 31, 2014 at 10:26 pm (5 months ago)

That’s so awesome that you have Outliers! Its such a great book. One of my favorites!

2. Jess
    July 31, 2014 at 11:32 pm (5 months ago)

Where is the desk from?

3. MeJulie
    August 1, 2014 at 3:41 am (5 months ago)

Would be interesting to see more of your home decoration and books you read.

Love your taste.

August 1, 2014 at 8:57 am (5 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback! I’d love to share more. :)

4. Roxy
    August 1, 2014 at 9:18 am (5 months ago)

You have such great taste !

5. Angelique
    August 1, 2014 at 10:07 am (5 months ago)

I love your gold mac book pro…..where did you get that gorgeous case???

6. Maria
    August 1, 2014 at 10:37 am (5 months ago)

Is that a gold case on your MacBook Pro? I love it – where did you get it from?

• Nicole
      August 1, 2014 at 4:28 pm (5 months ago)

Yes, where is that gold macbookpro case from?!

7. Chelsea Bouligny
    August 1, 2014 at 10:48 am (5 months ago)

I agree with everyone I love the space!!! The freshness is beautiful, clean, and chic. But where is your laptop case from its so cute!!!!!

8. Jackie
    August 1, 2014 at 1:04 pm (5 months ago)

Hi, where did you get your gold and white cushion?

August 2, 2014 at 7:21 am (5 months ago)

ohh it’s not a cushion, it’s a small dish. You can find that on RachelGeorge.com!

• Jackie
      August 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm (5 months ago)

Hey, I mean the cushion that s resting on your chair!

August 4, 2014 at 2:06 pm (5 months ago)

oh that’s just the chair itself, the cushion isn’t separate.

9. Lindsay
    August 1, 2014 at 1:55 pm (5 months ago)

OMG it’s all so pretty!! This is really good timing too since I need a new home work-space!

10. Tiffany
    August 1, 2014 at 5:00 pm (5 months ago)

Hello beautiful,

Hope you’re doing well. I was wondering where you got your gold mack pro case from? Do you think they also have that for retina 15″? I’m based in England. Hope to hear from you.

Loads of love
    Tiffy
    xoxo

August 2, 2014 at 7:19 am (5 months ago)

yes they should have it for the 15, mine is for the 13 retina. It’s on eBay so just search it, it should come up!

11. Yasmin
    August 2, 2014 at 12:41 am (5 months ago)

That is so cool what you did with the frames! I’ve been stalking some things on Pinterest, but haven’t been wanting to spend the money. I never even thought about DIY. Looks very pretty :)

August 2, 2014 at 7:20 am (5 months ago)

thanks!! Yes, it’s easy and inexpensive. Can’t beat that!

12. Kelly
    August 2, 2014 at 11:39 am (5 months ago)

It’s really stunning, you have such great taste! I love the pink/champagne accents mixed with the gold & white palette. Very feminine but still sophisticated. My room is mostly grays/blacks/silvers at the moment but the bright look you have here is so inspiring. xoxo, Kelly

13. McKenzie Evans
    August 17, 2014 at 9:15 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Teni! You are so sweet, and SO stunning. My name is McKenzie and I turned 21 on July 16th, just like YOU! I’m currently in school..and feel the same about my “office” space.. I appreciate all of your positive energy and happiness that outflows from you in your posts AND videos. It’s so encouraging to see especially in a world so negative. Love you & keep up the work!!!! You inspire no matter what anyone says.

14. Michele
    August 20, 2014 at 4:18 am (4 months ago)

I am really all about organization and very cute yet simple workspaces. With that being said, I would love to see tips on how you keep your life organized. With blogging, youtube, and life .. I am sure you have a lot going on and some great tips on managing your time. If you use an agenda .. maybe you can include how you keep that organized and which you use! Just something I would love to see. ;) Your workspace came out GORGEOUS!

15. Nida Does Beauty
    August 21, 2014 at 7:44 pm (4 months ago)

Literally obsessed with your workspace. It is so gorgeous!

xx

16. Shalini
    September 21, 2014 at 4:38 am (3 months ago)

Hi! I love this space! Especially the laptop case! I went on eBay but there were so many! I like how on yours the Apple logo is not hidden. It’s hard to tell if the ones on there are like yours. Would you be able to tell us what seller or if it has a specific name, company? Thank you!!!